Search This Blog

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Our Common Core

I have been writing the governor and our local representatives about Common Core. I've been asking them to identify the end they hope Common Core's adoption will serve. Are we going for higher graduation rates, fewer remedial classes needed in college, higher rankings compared to other countries on test scores? Common Core propaganda commonly references becoming "more competitive in the global marketplace." I DOUBT we intend to measure success by jobs - after all, Common Core only effects primary education. I doubt high school graduates will be employed doing much that would impress the general populous. (In fact, I doubt the outcomes of Common Core's adoption are being measured at all. That's too much accountability. But that's for another post.)

But, in fact, employment IS part of the aim of MY homeschooling efforts. I want my soon-to-NOT-be-minor children to BE impressive. I want them to be desirable as employees (or students, with an eye on securing a job after college graduation because of their experience). So I have my own set of standards. And I believe MY standards are going to give MY homeschooled kids an edge over most kids in high school.

I almost hesitate to share them because my kids would lose their competitive edge if MY standards became standard. But as the school systems seem to refuse most reforms that would actually positively effect outcomes, I'm pretty confident letting these get out won't change things a bit.

My standards that will give my kids a competitive edge when it comes to employment are relatively simple. I don't need 450 pages to spell them out. OR 150 pages. I hardly need a paragraph. They are these:

1. Good Posture
2. Clear Enunciation
3. Eye Contact
4. Diligent Work Ethic

I realize these standards don't cover nearly all the skills my kids will need to survive, to be gainfully employed. But neither are the bare skills of math and language arts all that is needed. I'm not poo-pooing high academic achievement. I AM saying what may really make a difference to an 18 year old looking for a job or trying to impress anyone in the "real world" might not be what is covered in school at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment