Search This Blog

Friday, July 18, 2014

Fun with Mom Camp

So, as you may have gathered from an older post, this has been a summer of field trips! We have LOVED it!

My oldest loved the training he got over a 5 week span of time. We ALL loved the taste of "big city" life. My seven year old remarked that she felt "like a regular person" in Salt Lake. She was trying to describe that small feeling you have surrounded by a lot of people. I chuckled to think how she would feel in Asia, or any of America's larger cities!

Anyway, we love getting around on public transportation. We loved the city's museums, activities, and cultural offerings. Interestingly, it seems summer is the time to do just that - get out and get a broader exposure - but I'm surprised how many kids we saw involved in camps or day-care activities of one sort or another (identifiable mostly by the matching t-shirts, but that failing, by the large same-age child to adult ratio).

This surprised me because enjoying these adventures WITH my kids has felt just like what I'm supposed to do as a mother. I'm sure families have good and significant reasons for enrolling their kids in summer camps. As we saw these camps hit many of the destinations on our list, there is no doubt the camps have fabulous learning as part of their programs. But I wondered how the mothers felt about missing out. Regardless of their feelings, I felt a bit of sadness for them - that they weren't there to take it all in, to process it all, and to relive the happy memories WITH their kids.

I half-jokingly think it would be wonderful to print up a bunch of t-shirts and have my kids and their peers, AND THEIR MOMS hit all of these same destinations. 'Cause hey! Everybody loves a good day camp. Ours would be "Fun with Mom" Camp. This idea has NO copy right, so steal it, if you feel so inspired. :) (Ooh, and send me the t-shirt design!)


No comments:

Post a Comment