Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Do I Believe Homeschooling is Right for Everyone?

When we announced 7 years ago to my very large and opinionated family that we intended to homeschool our son and future children, our decision was NOT well received. My siblings, many of them in the student government of their schools, were convinced our children would be socially damaged. Of course, they knew homeschoolers who had entered the public high schools and they were weird! No one was able to listen, in that discussion, to the benefits I believed our kids would receive at home, convinced any educational advantages would be outweighed by social shortcomings.

Seven years later, most of my siblings (I'm the oldest of 9), have begun considering homeschooling for their own kids and future kids. I have a sister-in-law who was homeschooled and graduated from college at 20. My new brother-in-law told my little sister when they were dating that he wanted to homeschool their kids.

In fact, he asked me last night if "all homeschooling moms were like me." When I asked him what that meant, he specified a belief he perceived I had that homeschooling was THE best choice for everyone.

Well, my blog IS titled "2000 Reasons to Homeschool." So that IS my belief, isn't it?

No. Not especially.

I'm not exactly sure who my audience is. (In fact, if you want to chime in below and tell me how you got here, I'd love to know.) I DO know who I write for. The audience in my mind are the parents who want to homeschool, or have already begun the journey, who have found certain aspects challenging, who worry about it "working," or who know it's right, but haven't found peace about the how.

As you have noticed if you've read other posts, my writings aren't especially instructive on the hows. And my "reasons to homeschool" aren't compelling test score differences between homeschooled kids and their public schooled peers, studies about the social advantages homeschooled kids enjoy, or even reminders of the real threats faced by children sent out into a world of strangers before they have mastered themselves or developed the courage and wisdom to cope with the dangers found in all schools.

Those sorts of reasons may compel some to homeschool. They reflect other blessings I feel we enjoy from our choice to homeschool, but they aren't OUR reasons.

As a total aside, may I just say about test score differences that I don't think they are a reliable indicator of homeschooling's educational superiority. First, those who self-identify as being homeschooled are those for whom it is working. What do families do when homeschooling is failing to educate their kids? Put them back in public school.  So there will be far fewer poor test scores among homeschooling families simply because if kids aren't learning, parents don't generally continue doing it. Furthermore, many homeschooling families chose NOT to test their children. Once you begin the journey of learning WITH your kids and make learning a part of life, you realize standardized tests are a very poor measuring tool for knowledge. Of course, it can be argued that taking tests is it's own skill set, but not all families care to spend their time practicing it. And finally, parents more likely to homeschool children are also more likely to be engaged in the lives of their children and CARE about education. Who they are - the values they demonstrate to their kids in life together - likely have a greater impact on their children than WHERE their children attend school.

So if you have happened onto this blog and have felt insulted that I would suggest your children will have an inferior education because YOU aren't teaching them, let me be the first to reassure, I am making no such suggestion.

In fact, I have a great deal of admiration for involved, mindful parents who chose to send their children to public school. Let me tell you why. Participating in public school is to be told when to get up the next day no matter when you went to sleep the night before. It is to be told when you will take vacations. It is to be told where to be, no matter the educational opportunities that may arise OUTSIDE of school. It is to be told what you will learn and at what pace. It is to be told if that schedule doesn't work for you, that you are inferior. It is to be told when to play and when to focus, and if your focus lacks or your play time is inadequate, YOU have the problem.

Attending public school is to confine a parent's influence to the morning time of getting ready for school, the after-school exhaustion, hectic dinner times, and a few hours before bed NOT absorbed in drilling exercises called homework. It is to take from the family time left over, the opportunities for additional knowledge like sports, dance, or music lessons.

Attending public school is to accept that no matter YOUR instruction or beliefs on the subject, your children will be surrounded by messages that their value is determined by their backpack brand, shoe brand, jean brand, learning group, friends, or neighborhood.

Can children and families succeed despite all these obstacles? Yes! And there is a whole other list of challenges faced by homeschooling families. I  chose homeschooling for my family because I truly believe it's challenges are easier, or at least more suited to my own gifts, values, and parenting style.

Whatever you discover works best for the success and happiness of your children, DO IT! Children are our precious jewels and they each have only one childhood to bless and inform ALL of their lives. Make it a great one by making good choices TODAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment