Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Calvin and Hobbes - Early Seeds of Homeschooling

"Muthah," my 3 year old announced in her best English accent, "We're Princess SPIES."

PERFECT! I was hoping to be a mother to princess spies. Not specifically, but generally I had the wish, when I thought of kids (which was not especially often) that they would have amazing imaginations and take me on the ride from time to time. (I've written a bit about that here. I feel one reason we homeschool is so we can honor imagination.)

Seeds for this sort of hoping were sewn early - in high school - as I read the Calvin and Hobbes cartoons. How could I have neglected them from my Influential Books list!?! I'm adding them now.

When we talk of privileged times, I was blessed to grow up in a day and age when Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson was still in the weekly funnies. (No, the funnies were not especially funny then either, but Calvin and Hobbes was a noteworthy exception.) One of the first personal splurges I ever made with money I earned myself was a book of Calvin and Hobbes cartoons. Since then, I have bought or been given everything (I think) that has ever been widely published.

I dog-eared in my books those cartoons that I found especially amusing, and those which expressed truths I wanted to reference. Reviewing those folded pages now, I can't help but wonder if the conversations between Calvin and his stuffed tiger, Hobbes, led me, subconsciously, to homeschool.

Here are three (of many) examples:
As Calvin looks out a window he remarks to Hobbes, "In the SHORT term, it would make me happy to go play outside." Then looking at his schoolwork he sighs, "In the LONG term, it would make me happier to do well at school and become successful." In the final frame, he and Hobbes are on a sled zipping through the woods as Calvin notes: "But in the VERY long term, I know which will make better memories."

Homeschooling IS about education. But for our family, it's also so very much about great long-term memories.

In another cartoon, Calvin is neck deep in the ground, wearing a safari hat and carrying a shovel. "Why are you digging a hole?" Hobbes asks.
"I'm looking for buried treasure!" Calvin enthuses.
"What have you found?"
Calvin displays the haul: "A few dirty rocks, a weird root, and some disgusting grubs."
Delighted, Hobbes asks, "On your first try??"
You can almost feel Calvin's glee as he tells Hobbes, "There's treasure everywhere!"

We LOVE discovering buried treasure, even in every subject! Homeschooling allows us the time to delight in the academic weird roots and disgusting grubs. :)

Finally, Calvin himself is in a classroom with his show and tell. (I couldn't find this one quickly, so I'm paraphrasing.) He brought a snowflake to show. Of course, it has melted and he is explaining that to the class - how a singularly unique marvel of nature, his snowflake, has become in the classroom a mere drop of water, like any other drop. He then says, "I'm leaving you drips and going outside."

Our children are singularly unique marvels, aren't they? I love homeschooling because we can learn in an environment that preserves their uniqueness. If you are homeschooling, make today the day you leave the drips behind as you find buried treasure and create the BEST memories! And share them with me in the comments below!

3 comments:

  1. Calvin and Hobbes is singular! I think we own just about all of those books as well. So many gems, for every part of life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I guess Serena logged me out and I didn't notice. heh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah. Here the snowflake full quote is:
    “Today for show and tell I ‘ve brought a tiny marvel of nature: a single snowflake. I think we might all learn a lesson from how this utterly unique and exquisite crystal.. ..turns into an ordinary boring molecule of water just like every other one when you bring it in the classroom. And now. While the analogy sinks in. I’ll be leaving you drips and going outside.”

    ReplyDelete