Search This Blog

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Homeschooling Anthem for Your In-laws

Since your 3 year old is probably singing this anyway...

Friends at my house the other day were chatting about a theme that comes up a lot: the judgement of in-laws. For the record, my family reacted a lot more negatively to our homeschooling announcement than my in-laws. And now we feel great support from both sides. But I sympathize with moms who feel constantly judged or second-guessed for their decision to homeschool. So if, and when, your in-laws quiz your kids, or brag about the grades of their public schooled grandkids, or just don't give you the praise you deserve for the amazing job you are doing raising lovely kids, you can wail this song right along with ALL the kids in America. Only you and I will know what you're wailing about.  ;-)

Don't let them in, don't let them see,
Be the good girl you always have to be
Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know....
Well now they know!

Let it go, let it go
Can't hold it back it back anymore!
Let it go, let it go,
Turn away and slam the door.
I don't care what they're going to say,
Let (our learning go) on
Their fears never bothered me anyway!

It's funny how some distance makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me can't get to me at all!
It's time to see what I can do,
To test the limits and break through.
No right, no wrong, no (agendas) for me
I'm FREE!

We ARE free, to raise our children how we feel is best for their development! As we let go of the fears of those around us, we will break through the limits of arbitrary agendas set for us and for our families. And, very likely, our children will be the ones to impress EVERYONE with their awesome powers if we let them!

No comments:

Post a Comment