Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Reason # 37: Creating Perfect Moments

The thoughts below illustrate how wonderful homeschooling can be. While the perfect moments are not mine, they could be! Hope you enjoy this post from a homeschooling mom in my area... AND a few perfect homeschooling moments of your own!

*******

     I’ve been repeating in my head a phrase I heard a month or so ago:  “There are no perfect days, just perfect moments.” 
     Yesterday I was blessed to have some perfect moments—the kind that make me so happy I homeschool.  It’s THESE kind of moments that are, to me, the epitome of why homeschooling is so wonderful.
     My 4 boys were all occupied with chosen activities elsewhere yesterday afternoon, so it was just me and my 9-year-old daughter at home.  She is intensely musical.  I pulled out a new song I found for her to learn to sing and accompanied her on the piano while she sight-read it.  We then worked on her piano lesson.  And then, even better, my favorite moments came.  As you know, yesterday was beautiful outside.  She put on her rollerblades, and I put on my running shoes, and we took off into the sunshine.  As we sped-walked/skated our way down the street, we held hands and sang the times table (I got it for her to music because she’d learn it best that way).  Then I quizzed her randomly on multiplication facts.  All this while we’re cruising along, stopping now and then to notice signs of spring or the neighbors’ animals.  She became very interested in the clouds overhead, trying to identify them (we recently learned about cloud types and what they forecast).  I saw a robin and pointed it out and she said, “He looks like Ben Weatherstaff’s robin!” (We’ve recently read The Secret Garden.) Then we talked about where and how we might build our own secret garden at home.  Amazingly, in a one-hour walk we covered every “school subject” (including P.E. and health), personalized and assimilated them, laughed ourselves silly at times, and strengthened our relationship with each other.
     I hope everyone finds a few perfect moments today!
     Sasha

No comments:

Post a Comment