Search This Blog

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Of Objectives and Obstacles

Have you ever thought something like, "I'd have a clean house were it not for my kids"? Or, "Were it not for my interrupting children, I could finish a 3 sentence email in under 27 minutes"? Or, "I would be amazingly efficient/organized/clean/social, but I'm too busy just being mom"?

I have had many such thoughts. Many.

Usually they come when I am stressed and TRYING TO GET SOMETHING DONE!

When these thoughts come I often let them trickle into my behavior and attitudes towards these obstacles, my children....

And then sometimes I remember that my children are NOT obstacles. And how did I ever forget? I love how beautifully this story illustrates what our children ARE.

It is said that in medieval Rome, the women used to gather and compare their physical appearances. (Not hard to imagine - don't we now?) Anyway, Cornelia Africana, a wealthy Roman woman (of so high a station that a King sought her hand in marriage after he husband's death), was questioned about her simple dress and adornment. She responded by indicating to her 2 sons and answered, "These are my jewels."

MY children are my jewels. They are my objectives, not my obstacles. Like Cornelia, I have chosen to be responsible for their education. I might have a gloriously fancy home, beautifully worded blog posts and emails, throw amazing parties, and live in a clutter-free environment, but if I fail to value my kids, their development, and our time together, I am poor indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment