Search This Blog

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Reason # 1 - SOCIALIZATION!

What!?! Did you read that right? So many view the issue of socialization as THE reason NOT to homeschool.

Whether you believe the socialization concern is a myth, as this article suggests (quoted here for your convenience:  ...tests typically evaluate four areas: cooperation, assertiveness, empathy, and self-control. Researchers found that homeschooled children score higher on socialization tests than children attending public or private schools. A technical paper summarizing these studies was published in the technical journal, "Home School Researcher," in 2006 by Richard G. Medlin, Ph.D., Professor of Psychology at Stetson University.) or you think there is something to the statement, "Homeschooled kids are weird and annoying," (that article here), it IS a topic that comes up in most pro and most con homeschooling discussions.

When that concern arises in conversations I'm a part of, I always want to respond with, "Well, how nice for you that in your public school experience, everyone got along and no one felt awkward or like an outsider." However, I usually fear my smug sarcasm will give offense, and so generally state more blandly that, no matter the school system, odd-ball parents produce odd-ball offspring. It seems everyone can agree to that. Maybe they are looking at MY kids and thinking, "Amen!"

But I digress. In my last post I mentioned moms from two clubs, our Culture Club and Science Club. I thought I'd put the socialization question - at least as measured by opportunity - to rest by sharing just where in the process of homeschooling, my kids get all those chances for peer interaction. (I've edited this from a post on my local yahoo homeschooling group.)

When we began our homeschooling journey, like many, I joined a yahoo group where I hoped to find activities to learn and interact with other homeschoolers. Much to my dismay, so many of the things going on on that list were full. I felt I'd come to the table too late. I felt like the kid at recess again, not chosen to play because the game was "full."

So... I started some myself. (And most of them are now "full." I've come to understand full doesn't mean "too cool for more," but simply "no room physically for more.") Anyway, I hope this inspires you to begin your own and enjoy many of the wonderful educational opportunities we do! It takes surprisingly little ambition or organization, lest you fear you aren't up to the task. Trust me: if I can do it, anyone can!

What we do/have done:
Homeschoolers art class - we found an art teacher who works in the public schools and follows that sort of curriculum, as well as offered instruction from her home. She was delighted to learn she could teach during school hours and organized a class just for us homeschoolers!
Science Club - we started this for my son for something to do with boys his age. I'm not very science minded, so we found a tutor which each family pays $5/class to teach/design lessons/content/run experiments/etc. (We found our first tutor on a website, and the next by sending a job description to applicable clubs at the local university.)
Biography Club - We meet once a month at the library at 10:30 to discuss biographical figures. I started this for my daughter who's favorite part of history is dressing up like the women we'd learn about - now she will have a context to share what she has learned, and so often I find, when you provide a context for why it matters, your learning is enhanced.
Culture Club - my family's all time favorite! I started this because a similar club where we'd moved from that studied the countries of the world was full. Our club here meets once a month to share with club members about the culture of our choice. (We've done countries, but we've also done ancient civilizations, and fun kid choices like Ninjas and Vikings. My kids love this because we get to imagine, dress-up, play, try new food, party with friends. I love it because it is reading, writing, public speaking, history, geography, and social studies all rolled into one very fun adventure.)
Homeschool Choir - Hard to beat getting to perform classics like Les Mis and Fiddler on the Roof AND voice training for so little cost! An amazing local homeschooling mom runs this choir from fall to Christmas.
Fancy Nancy - A dear friend (whom we met through Culture Club) started this for her girl. It's a club based on the Fancy Nancy books. They read, write, and go on "Fancy" field trips. 
Rock Club - this is another one I didn't start, nor could I have. It's our local Rock and Gem Club run by amazing rock hounds. They meet once a month at the library to talk rocks. They also organize rock hounding trips. The folks there are awesome mentor-types and are excited about the young kids that are taking up their passion.
Field Trip Co-op - this resides on another yahoo group. We love it! We've been to an historical re-enactment venue, an apple orchard, a fish hatchery, and a ballet rehearsal, to mention only those we could make!
Hiking Club - this was one we participated in before we moved and it was led by a mom who was familiar with local hikes. We met twice a month when the weather was warm and hiked all over. I'd start one here, but I don't know where to go.

We haven't participated in, but know of a homeschool martial arts class and a homeschool gymnastics class, and I've heard great things. 

And there is probably a lot I'm leaving out. Not to mention what there WILL be whenever anyone wants to take the reigns and run with an idea! I'm sure as my own kids tastes and interests change, I'll come up with other ideas and throw them out to the list. Leave a comment to share what you have found or created as fun and engaging learning and SOCIALIZATION opportunities for your kids! If you build it, they will come! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment